Alyson_ch2_I
I find it confusing that all design isn't, or isn't putting most of the effort into being User-Centered Design. You would assume that if the product were going to work the best, you would need user-feedback on the product. I guess I'm not wrong in that, most design styles can be used with one another, but I think it would be hard, for instance to create Systems Design without usability testing on a large audience.
Or, perhaps I don't give the general public enough credit for being able to work a little to figure out a design before they use a product.
3 Comments:
I wouldn't want to rely too much on the public either, but I don't see it as a matter of giving them credit or not. The iPod was mentioned in the chapter, and that's a great example because the design is so simple. Most people can pick it up and use it right away without having to figure out too much about the interface. Even though a lot of those people would be able to use it if it were a little more complicated, they probably just wouldn't want to bother.
But then again, that is a Genius Design thing, which seems kind of vague to me.
Actually, most of the Adobe programs use user-designed interfaces, in that you can decide which of 20 or so windows you want open while you're editing something. Simple, I know, but most people like to be able to use the overall program THEIR way and in some cases even become disoriented when someone else messes with THEIR windows/settings.
One of the strengths of the Adobe software set is that there are usually multiple ways of doing everything.
I personally like to compute as quickly as my hands will allow me. A product that has 2 or 3 ways of doing something allows me to use my human-computer interface activity most efficiently.
Post a Comment
<< Home