Thursday, January 24, 2008

Matt_H._Ch_1_I

I'm glad Mr. Saffer clarified that interaction designers existed since pre-historic time. A cave wall with pictures scribed on it could be considered interaction if it connects people who wouldn't have connected otherwise.

We have become exponentially more complex today of course. I believe that in order to be a good interaction designer you must know alot about the area you are designing for. The more one knows about the people they are designing for and how they comunicate, the better the design will turn out.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger mhsanders said...

Yeah, probably.

I also believe that imitation is 90% of design. Cave paintings were actually meant to represent real life, and the only reason they're so primitive is because they didn't have alot to paint or etch with.

I know that, having worked as a graphics designer professionally, I immediately consider the medium in the design process. For example, if I'm designing an envelope, I begin measuring the piece and taking notes on the stock before even opening Photoshop or InDesign. I may even sample other previously displayed mediums such as letterheads, a website, or flyers printed by the company. Simple imitation.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Cassie said...

More on the cave paintings... I agree even though I never thought about it. I don't think it's the medium that makes it interactive design; it's the communication. There are probably thousands of similar things from previous milenia that constitutes interactive design that just hasn't been defined as such.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Lydia Sparling said...

It is strange to think that anything that connects two people, even something as old and primitive as cave paintings is "interactive design." When I think of the word interactive, nothing before the 1990's usually comes to mind. It is incredible to think of all the different ways people have created interactivity as technology changes.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Matt Koehler said...

I would have to add to lydia's comment about how hard it is to believe that interactivity started thousands and thousands of years ago. The first thing that comes to my mind when I see a word such as "interactive design" I automatically thought of technology in the 21st century. Cavemen had their own interactivity in their own way which didn't include any technology.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home