Thursday, February 14, 2008

Alyson_4_I

I'm a little bit put-off by the idea of Personas and perhaps even Scenarios. I understand the ease of combining together your research data about individuals who will be your future users, but I find it a bit (base?) that these Personas are created as a sort of empathy measure for designers. I understand that it's a very useful tool for organization, but I think it's a bit silly to say that we could not empathize with our future users without a fake person staring us down and having "scenarios." Perhaps I'm just being a little too touchy about it, though.

3 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger Nathan Keller said...

In my post, I also spoke of these personas as part of my job. The thing is the use of these "personas" is borderline stereotyping, which wether negative or positive could be construed as unethical.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely understand your difficulty with the idea of personas. I am very put off by them too! I think my issue is that I think it's unnecessary to make them so personal that they have names and are gathered from real people's information. I also don't like the idea of a fake person with a name guiding what I do...

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger mhsanders said...

Yeah, I agree with Nathan.

It may be useful to provide fake psychological profiles analyzing your interface to come up with new criticism that you may have thought of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home