Friday, February 22, 2008

Alyson_ch6_I

Back in Dr. John's Web Design class, we each had to present an example of interesting web design of some sort. I have always remembered someone (I don't remember who) showing us a very interesting site that used Flash to illustrate a design interface that didn't rely on clicking. Only mousing over the buttons and other objects would activate them. Indeed it was interesting, but I clearly didn't see it as the "wave of the future" that the presenter did.

The small(ish) section that talked about reinventing the wheel reminded me of that presenter and the unique site he found. While I was watching him present, I couldn't help but think, "But there's nothing annoying or confusing about clicking, why change the way it is?" And sure enough, the book says, why change things that work so well already?

1 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I remember that, too. It was indicative of the kinds of "innovations" that seem really cool at first, but actually hamper the user. Sometimes I click on things randomly, or highlight words when I'm browsing, so that site would screw me up big-time. True innovations should only totally rehaul stuff that doesn't work, and build upon things that do work, like clicking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home