Ashley_ch.7_i
I love the whole idea of smart applications and clever devices because we use them everyday and usually don't notice them, but they make our lives better. Everything from the computer I'm using right now, to my cell phone, to the programs in them are customizable and adaptable to my preferences. On page 155-56 he talks about the back light on an iPod coming on at night by using the time. I think having the back light come on when you need it in a dark place would be really helpful, but not if it used the clock to determine this, because sometimes you are in a dark place during the day. If cell phones and iPods had a light sensor on them to turn on the light when you are in a dark place, that would be great. My headlights on my car work this way, so why not other things. I also think that sometimes smart and clever devices, while they may be very cool, lack usability. Our parents, and especially grandparents, can't use computers and cell phones as efficiently as we can (generally speaking) because they inevitably become more complicated the smarter they are.
On page 168, he mentions ambient devices and how they have not really caught on. I think that is because a lot of them are not really that useful. They may be neat, but not that useful, and often take more effort to pay attention to than it would take to not have it.
2 Comments:
This is exactly what i was thinking! Designers need to rethink their ideas and run them past people first, before implementing. The iPod with the light is a good example. One based on a clock would not serve the needs of it's user as much as one based on actual physical light. The idea needed more thought, as do many of the designs today.
I like the thought of ambient devices over smart devices. Like Saffer suggested with the stadium flashing current scores, ambient devices would be less of a prediction tool and more of a communication device, thus eliminating much of the annoyance. Also, if you weren't interested, it would be easy to ignore. Maybe that's an idea for a web site... have a preference setting where smart devices could be turned on or off.
Post a Comment
<< Home