Friday, February 1, 2008

Cassie_3_Q

I had to stop and think when I read the part in Ch 3 where Shaffer says that our products and designs need to be smarter than we are. Is it just me, or is that disturbing? Do we really want our creations to be smarter than we are? The thought of such a thing reminds me of some horrible experiment gone wrong in a big sci-fi movie like "I-Robot" or "The Matrix". So my question... at what point does science fiction cross the line and become reality?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Matt H. said...

Yeah. This has been an ongoing goal of software companies since the late 90s, or possibly before. The problem with this is that the programs don't always get it right. Just simple things like selecting text can be a real chore in certain programs that think they know what I want to select.

Another way I think about it is that every user uses the computer a little differently, so, you must try to think through every possible way of using the interface you are designing. Because if there is a way to break it, someone will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home