Greg_Ch7_I
The layout of this chapter was indicative of the shift in power from designer to user. I think Amazon's design is pretty good, but not perfect. I don't necessarily want to buy some random popular movie just because I bought another movie in the past that was also popular. However, I have mixed feelings about focusing on hacking as a positive thing. Ideally, programs and devices would be functional on their own, but allow enough room for customization so that the average person isn't burdened with disemboweling the product to suit their needs. The iPod was used as a pretty good example. It has a few insular features that kind of bug me, but I don't want to go to the trouble of taking it apart to fix them.
5 Comments:
Ipod is a good example. I wasnt around many Mac devices while in high school. Ever since I came to Ball State all I have heard about is how well Mac developers research their product to make it as simple as possible for the everyday user. Not even knowing the things that bother you on your Ipod I can make a good guess that the next ipod that comes out will have those problems taken care of.
I agree with you about not taking your whole gadget apart just to change a few things that irritate you. Plus once I got it apart I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. But I guess if it wasn't for the people who do these kind of things there wouldn't be as many new inventions and technology wouldn't be evolving as rapidly as it is now.
I agree with you on the movie! For me I have to like and see a movie before I buy it. doesnt everyone?
You void your warranty with Apple anyway if you take the thing apart, which angers me. I can take my desktop tower completely apart and put it back together in less than 30 minutes, why not my phone?
About taking the phone apart and voiding the warranty, I think that phones may be a little more small, intricate, and harder to put back together without breaking, and that's why they don't let you. I can also take apart my desktop and put it together in less than 30mins...but that is a little bigger space to work with. Plus, you can buy parts and build your own computer from scratch if you want, and you can't really do that with a phone.
Post a Comment
<< Home