Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lydia_7_I

I enjoyed the section about how we are becoming more personalized and emotionally attached to our technological tools. We customize our devices so much today. These different ways we make our tools "truly ours" brings in a serious amount of revenue for companies. One perfect example is Verizon and their ringtones. Even my mom has purchased a ringtone for her cell phone. Another interesting section in this chapter was the one on hacking. I have never thought of hacking as a positive thing but Saffer proves that it can be. In many ways I think creators are ok with or want their creations to be hacked so that other uses for the tool can be recognized. In the long run it could be very financially beneficial to them.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Matt Koehler said...

I thought the comment about your mom's ringtone was perfect. My mom used to hate my ringtones, and now she has several of her own along with a cell phone cover. My dad never understood instant messaging and hated that I was always on the program in high school. Now he is online 24/7 and uses it for his business to communicate with co-workers. He even has his own font and buddy icon.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Nathan Keller said...

Its interesting that you guys mention this, I just read an article that you guys might find interesting:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/02/27/mini-projectors-spark-worries-about-visual-pollution/

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Greg said...

If I were developing a new program, I don't know if I would want it hacked per se, but I would definitely test the crap out of it before releasing it to the public. I'm probably still hung up on the actual word, and would instead phrase it as customization.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Lauren Elliott said...

It always amazes me to think that today we teach our parents a lot of things that have to do with technology. Like your ring tone example. It makes me wounder what my kids will be teaching me later in life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home