Mitch_6_1
Given the wealth of common software and online widgets we're used to using (Youtube, MSWord, MacOS / Windows), it's safe to say that the general e-population has become accustomed to a set of design regularities and parameters. This means that the majority of user interfaces are now self-explanatory. To stray outside these parameters is exponentially frustrating to the user base. For example, as I'm writing this blog post, all of the interface buttons on this page are self-explanatory because of the pictures (bold, italic, link, quote, spellcheck, picture, video, upload). I can also hold my mouse over those buttons to see what they will do in a one-word function-based explanation. If these buttons were not self-explanatory or worked in a way that is not conductive to my electronic socialization, I'd begin to get frustrated. The best way to design an interface is self-explanatory when partnered with the existing conventions of the userbase.
1 Comments:
I couldn't agree more. There are certain standards set for universal controls and icons that increase the ease of product usability. These standards, according to Saffer and myself, should be adhered to unless there's a pretty good darn reason not to. It would only cause the user to become confused and frustrated.
Post a Comment
<< Home