Thursday, February 7, 2008

Mitch_4_1

Well, the good news this week is that I both remembered to blog and I'm doing it on time. The bad news is that I've come to realize I forgot my book in the classroom in a moment of extreme stupidity. If anyone saw it laying around on Friday after I left, please let me know.

So I take it this chapter was about research, and different methods of research. Well, most research is just common sense, but here are some observations based on experience.

My first suggestion: don't use your friends. If you have a best friend with an overly harsh opinion of everything like I do (you guys might know who I'm talking about and I love him to death), then you'll get honest criticism, but seriously, you don't want anyone who already has a prior relationship with you being afraid of hurting your feelings.

Also, academics and professionals can be full of it. Get some diversity in your research, and try to balance the hardcore users with the more casual users unless you're shooting for a particular user base - like I said, common sense.

4 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mitch I totally agree about not using certain people! Things can get complicated when you use people close to you for something they may know nothing about (i.e your job, even if they are in the same field, it's still not a good idea).

I believe that when it comes to certain things you should use people higher than you in the business!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Even though you weren't able to actually read the chapter, you seemed to hit on some ideas that were pretty important. If you're going into a project like ours, which is pretty ambitious, it's important not to limit the scope of it at the beginning by conducting faulty, biased research.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Cassie said...

Mitch, you're completely right on both terms. You should never limit the scope of your research. This may be a good way to take advantage of a new opportunity or, better yet, a future project. Also, you should definitely limit certain people of giving advice. Advice does not always equal good advice.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Matt H. said...

"The first step is to deliberatly identify one's OWN biases and beliefs about the subject of study and to 'hang them at the door' so as to avoid self-fulfilling prophecies"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home