Nathan_3_I
Somehow I managed to get behind a week so here is my post for Chapter 3. The little girls playing doctor on page 66 got me thinking about how we learn to use objects in our environment. Specifically, what is everyday and normal for us is not by any means normal for everybody. For example, my 84 year old grandmother recently asked me to teach her to use the internet to file her taxes. This is no horrible task, so I brought her over to my house and showed her everything she needed to know. But, it was a much bigger task then I anticipated, because when I would use the words like "double-click" or "scroll-down", she had no idea what I was talking about. So I wonder if there are rudimentary classes in area that could teach her to fully use a computer. I just wanted to point it out, because when she asked me the "Grandma" questions like "How school going, and what are you studying?" I had to explain to her the idea of the entire world being one day accessible through cyberspace; and we were pioneers on placing Ball State there. So basically, I think we need to be sure anything we do in "interactive design" is interactive for our users and is "grandma friendly."
1 Comments:
Kind of. Look at how well the Nintendo Wii is doing in previously untouched markets for gamers. The simple design and lack of many buttons makes it easy to pick up and play.
Post a Comment
<< Home