Greg_ch8_I
Some of the concepts in this chapter were interesting, but also a little troubling. Radio frequency supermarket payments, for example, seem like a good idea at first. You wouldn't have to wait in long lines, and it would certainly cut down on theft. But it also puts a whole bunch of people out of work, and cutting out human interaction altogether is never a good thing. I'm working as a cashier, and although I often have to deal with a bunch of jerkwads coming through my lane, it's nice to actually interact with another person from time to time. The ideal solution to today's issues shouldn't be a super hi-tech world where nobody has to make eye contact with another person.
4 Comments:
I don't think this chapter mentioned anything about removing people from the picture in services, only that in some situations removing people from the picture could speed up the process, creating happier customers.
Sometimes when I go in supermarkets there are long lines. But I notice that more that half of the registers don't have people working at them. If every count had an employee at all times, there wouldn't be long lines in stores. The people who design the checkout services for stores always take traffic into consideration when figuring out how many registers a store will need, but you can't force an employer to hire people to work at them all.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I think there has to be a better way to cut lines and theft than not having people doing the jobs, just like you said. The fact is, the more technology, the more of a chance for something to go wrong. Technology rarely works they way it's supposed to. There is nothing wrong with the good old fashioned way of paying for groceries! That makes me sound old...haha.
I also agree with matt when he said that most of the times that there are lines, only one or two people are at a register. HELLO! HIRE MORE EMPLOYEES! It's not like those big name stores can't afford it!
Post a Comment
<< Home