Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lydia_9_I

The wearables section of this chapter really grabbed my attention and I am guessing most everyone else because we are such a gadget generation with our cell phones and ipods and the list goes on. But Carnegie Mellon's secretary robot kind of freaks me out. I don't mind using interactive menus or voice recognition technology but "nearly real" people I am not so sure about yet. I have family members who are not comfortable buying anything on the internet or doing business through anything but a face to face transaction and I have always thought that it was just their generation and they way they are most comfortable doing things. So this must be one area where I sort of draw the line. I'm not saying I wouldn't communicate with a robot secretary, I think I would just prefer a human to be sitting there. It would definitely take some getting used to.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of those things that would be creepy to us, but our kids might think it's great! But i totally know what you mean...especially if you need to commuicate a complicated problem. I wonder how capable a robot would be to handle something like that.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Matt Koehler said...

I was thinking the same thing as ashley. they could have only programmed so many questions and answers into the machine. Personally I would rather spend money on a humans salary rather then money on a robot that might not have all the answers.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger mhsanders said...

The real issue with social robots is getting them understand the connection between abstract language and physical occurrences. Human emotions may be impossible for them to understand before genuine artificial intelligence can be achieved.

I think I can vibe with the idea of wearables, but I fail to see a worthwhile application.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Cassie said...

I agree with everybody here. Robot people would make me uneasy. Training a robot would be quite creepy too. As for A. I., I'm not sure that creating a non-human being to think and feel like a human being is a promising or humane concept. How do you teach something to feel? Isn't that sort of along the lines of brainwashing? And what about bugs?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home