Thursday, March 6, 2008

Matt_H_Ch_7_Q

Clippy, lol, remember Clippy? It was a good idea for about the first week of using Microsoft's new Office 97 software because of all the new functions at that time. But it quickly became annoying. Saffer blames the fact that Clippy wanted to do tasks that we would rather do ourselves, like format a letter. But I belive the annoyance was deeper than that. For one thing, much of the time the so-called help Clippy offered didn't solve the problem at hand. And another deeper issue was, people, unlike computers, don't do things the exact same way every time. The smart programs need to do more than remember what I did. They need to anylize it continually. If I visit a website today, it doesn't mean I want to visit it tomorrow. There is a ton of math to do if you want to gather and evaluate a person's trends. Let's say over a 4 week period I visit a site 5 times, 4 of the 5 times occured in the last week of the month. So a programmer writes a program that evaluates that info and sends me advertisements about those types of sites just before and during the last week of the next month. But I have found what I wanted already and do not want to visit sites offering whatever it was. Now I am annoyed getting advertisments for something I don't need. Do you see what I mean?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Cassie said...

I remember Clippy!!! Oh so annoying. I know exactly what you mean. Just like I wrote in my post, I don't like the computer telling me what it thinks I want to do. Sometimes it's easier and less work just to do it yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home