Thursday, March 6, 2008

Matt_K_Ch_8_I

This chapter made it clear to me that service design can take months, and even years to come up with. The example of a consumer going to a car wash, entering the car wash, getting dried and cleaned out seems really simple, but as Saffer stated the designers of the car wash had to have everything in order down to the angle of the sprayers hitting the car. I thought another good example of time with service design was netflix. 5 years to test this idea out? Really? It is almost as if the users take such things as renting a movie through the internet for granted. I like how service design is now looking to interactive design more and more these days. The service design of the new airplane interiors counts on web designers to show the interior through their website to give customers an idea of what they have to offer. Basically, service design will become more and more connected with everyday interactive design as time goes by. Interesting chapter.

3 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger Lydia Sparling said...

Internet services are becoming more and more helpful. I love using amazon.com and I subscribe to the Blockbuster service that is much like Netfilx. I've even ordered a Pizza to be delivered to my apartment online. However, I don't think I will ever go as far as to buy my groceries online and have them delivered to my house, and I think I would be way to scared to buy a car over the internet.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Greg said...

I agree with Lydia. Renting movies online is a really cool service, but making it the norm for people to have everything delivered to them will ultimately make people lazier and more anti-social.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Cassie said...

I definitely agree with Greg on this one. While I too love my Internet services, I think they contribute to anti-social behavior and laziness. It's kind of sad that children would rather be stuck to a screen than reading or outside playing with friends. I think it's all about moderation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home